5ive Questions for Billy Luther
1. If you could be a Miss Anything, what pageant would you choose?
America's Next Top Model, of course. As Tyra always reminds us, "Modeling is not pageantry." So true. But I would never win. So if I could be a Miss Anything I would have to choose to be Miss Miranda Priestly.
2. Your mother was a Miss Navajo. Tell the truth: As a kid did you twirl in front of the mirror wearing her sash?
No. But I did spend a lot of time looking in the mirror, and still do, as a matter of fact. Also, I have an addiction to face products fit for a beauty queen. I love slathering stuff all over my face.
3. Do you dedicate Miss Navajo to anyone?
It's dedicated to the Navajo woman, which is what the film is all about. Navajo women wear the trousers in Navajo society. They work the land, they raise the kids, and they preserve the culture and traditions. And they butcher the sheep! So you can see they are so much more than just a pretty face. My film isn't just about them, it's for them.
4. Is Native American the preferred term for a Native American?
Ask Sacheen Littlefeather (pictured).
5. What do you drive and what's in the CD changer right now?
I drive a big truck. But I walk to and from the office because if I drive I run the risk of losing my parking space and that freaks me out. I know it sounds sappy, but in my CD player right now I have the music David Steinberg did for my film. It's so amazing.