Cuban FM dispels rumors about Castro
Who knows what is happening. Word on the street in Miami was that Cuba had closed off streets and sent people home early from work and that prompted Miami officials to prepare for possible news about the condition of the tyrant who is close to hangin with Satan.
Cuban Foreign Minister Felipe Perez Roque today said President Fidel Castro was still recovering from his operation last year and was keeping busy, having personally instructed him on his visit to Brazil.
While attending the Forum for East Asia Latin American Co-operation (FEALAC), Roque, in an interview with AFP, dispelled rumours about Castro's health taking a turn for the worse since his 81st birthday on August 13.
Castro, who after stomach surgery a year ago handed over power to his brother Raul, "is steady, on track with his recovery, showing discipline, a lot of dedication and a lot of activity, writing, reading and working," Roque said.
Although the communist leader has not appeared in public for more than a year, he has appeared in photographs and eight videos. The last video was shown June 5.
He continues "in process of recovery", Roque said.
"In particular, he keeps in constant touch with the leaders of Cuba's (Communist) Party and government," he added.
Asked if Castro was still in charge of Cuban affairs, Roque said: "Exactly, he is being informed and consulted constantly and works all the time."