Best Movies of 2008: Critics' Picks and Award Nominations
By all accounts, 2008 was a mixed year for movies but, as the year draws to an end, a small group of films have emerged as the best movies of 2008.
Films that have been repeatedly honoured and nominated for awards include:
Critical Consensus: Top 10 Movies of 2008
- Slumdog Millionaire
- The Wrestler
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- The Dark Knight
- Revolutionary Road
- Rachel Getting Married
While NowPublic agrees with many of the films included above, we've also got to give honourable mentions to a few others (including "The Visitor" and "JCVD"). I've also posted a list of my personal picks for Top 10 Movies of 2008.
- American Film Institute: Top 10 Movies
- Boston Society of Film Critics: Best Movies of 2008
- CBC: Top 10 Canadian Films
- Chicago Film Critics Assoc. Awards: Best Films
- EW: 10 Best Movies
- Film.com's Top 10 Movies
- LA Film Critics Assoc. Awards: Best Films
- New York Film Critics Online: Top 10 Best Films of 2008
- New Yorker: The 10 Best Films
- Movie Retriever: Top 10 Films
- Roger Ebert: Top 20 Films
- Telegraph: Top 10 Movies
Award Winners & Nominations:
- 2008 International Press Academy: Satellite Award Winners
- 2008 International Documentary Association Award Winners
- 2009 Film Independent Spirit Award Nominations
- 2009 Golden Globe Award Nominations
- 2009 Oscar Shortlist: 15 Best Documentary Films
Overall, critics are universally praising "Slumdog Millionaire" and "Wall-E".
The New York Film Critics Online gave top awards to "Slumdog Millionaire" for best picture, director, screenplay, cinematography and music score.
The Boston Society of Film Critics have also selected their top films of 2008. "Wall-E" and "Slumdog Millionaire" tied for Best Picture honours — while Sean Penn in "Milk" and Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler" tied for Best Actor. See the complete list at the Boston critics' website.
The International Press Academy held their annual Satellite Awards this past weekend and, yet again, "Slumdog Millionaire" was named Best Picture of the Year.
[ For more year-end lists and 'best of' picks check out NowPublic's Best of 2008 channel.]