British Columbia: Deadly Cobra bites Surrey Man
Barry Artiste, Now Public Contributor
What I would like to know is, what the hell was this "Brainless Twit" thinking having a Pet Cobra? How was it allowed in Canada? Media do not state if it is meant for a Zoo or Research, for if this was the purpose, then the word "Pet" does not apply.
This can only leave one to believe it was smuggled into this country. How else can you get it into this country. Now medical professionals are tied saving this man, when the resources could be better spent elsewhere.
[q url="http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Story.html?id=156919"]British Columbia man was bitten by a poisonous cobra for which B.C. hospitals do not carry an anti-venom. Jason Hansen, 36, was bitten on Thursday by a pet cobra at his home in Surrey, B.C., which is about 30 kilometres southeast of Vancouver. While the bite was "dry" and the snake did not release venom, the neurotoxins in its saliva have damaged the tissue in Hansen's hand, friend Dalvin Corrival said on Saturday. "He's in danger of losing his hand. His finger is turning black and his arm is four times the normal size. He needs an anti-venom." On Friday morning, Mr. Corrival's friend, a snake expert who has developed an anti-venom, sent a dose by air from northern B.C. The doctors at Surrey Memorial Hospital would not administer it, he said. Fraser Health spokesman Stephen Harris said it's "up to the doctors to make the best clinical decision." "A doctor cannot administer a drug without knowing what it is," he added.