Crisis deepens for UK's young
Record numbers of A-level candidates are expected to end up without a university place today – as the latest unemployment numbers underline the bleak prospects of them finding a job.
More than one in five of Britain's young people (those aged 16 to 24) are out of work and almost 100,000 of them have been on the dole for two years or more.
The youth unemployment rate rose to 20.2 per cent this spring, according to the Office for National Statistics – one of the highest in the European Union.
New Enterprise zones announced today should bring 30000 jobs by 2015 by giving cheaper business rates, superfast broadband and lower levels of planning control to the following areas in England;
- Daresbury Science Campus near Runcorn
- Newquay AeroHub in Cornwall
- The Solent Enterprise Zone at Daedalus Airfield in Gosport
- Rotherwas Enterprise Zone in Hereford;
- Discovery Park in Sandwich, Kent
- Enterprise West Essex in Harlow
- Science Vale UK in Oxfordshire
- Alconbury Airfield in Cambridgeshire
- Great Yarmouth in Norfolk
- Lowestoft in Suffolk;
- Northampton Waterside
- MIRA Technology Park in Hinckley Leicestershire
- Humber Estuary Renewable Energy Super Cluster