Dancing With The Stars 2009 lineup: Wozniak a surprising choice
Season 8 lineup of “Dancing With The Stars” has been announced with 13 celebrities on the list, among them 59-years-old Apple co-founder Steven Wozniak and 4’10” teenage Olympic Champion gymnast Shawn Johnson.
The star lineup is as follows:
1. Computer engineer Steven Wozniak. While Steven Jobs is taking a leave of absence from Apple over concerns for his health, the other Apple founder has been selected to be on a dancing celeb show. Not surprisingly, the inclusion of Wozniak on the list of stars has caused quite a stir in online circles. Twitter was awash with question marks and surprise emoticons when the news of Wozniak’s appearance on DWTS broke. It has not yet been announced who will be Wozniak’s partner.
2. 2008 gymnastics Olympic champion Shawn Johnson. This 16 year old from Iowa is sure to rock the floor. I am hoping she will add a few tumbling passes to her routines. Johnson will also be the youngest star to compete in the history of the show.
3. Pop singer Jewel
4. Rodeo champion Ty Murray. Who is also the husband of Jewel.
5. Country singer Chuck Wicks who will dancing with his girlfriend Julianne Hough, a professional ballroom dancer and a two-time winner of Dancing With The Stars. Dancing pros Karina Smirnoff and Maksim Chmerkovskiy will be hitting the floor again this year.
6. Football player Lawrence Taylor
7. Go-Go's lead singer Belinda Carlisle
8. Rapper Lil’Kim
9. Actress Denise Richards
10. Comedian David Alan Grier
11. Actor Gilles Marini
12. Actor Stephen "Steve-O" Gilchrist Glover
13. TV host Nancy O'Dell
The first episode will premier on March 9th.
The ABC program, which pairs actors, singers and former sports stars with professional dancers, named Wozniak -- who often goes by the simpler "Woz" -- as one of this season's 13 celebrity contestants.
Of course, the idea of dancing on TV is enough to give most people a severe case of stage fright. So it seems that Wozniak has come a long way in his battle with extreme shyness, which he spoke about in a 2006 interview with Reuters.
In Dancing With the Stars, couples compete in several forms of ballroom dance and then are judged by an on-air panel. Home viewers vote for their favorites by phone, with one celebrity contestant eliminated each week.
The show opens its eighth season March 9 on ABC.