Eurovision 2012: Watch 2nd Semifinal Live May on 24
Eurovision Song Contest 2012: 2nd Semifinal
The Eurovision Song Contest is still underway in Baku, Azerbaijan. Eurovision pits European nations (and their nearby neighbors) against each other in a pop-music battle royale, with only one carefully-cultivated act surviving.
Eurovision gave the world Abba, and it's been riding that group's success ever since. Eurovision: you either get it or you don't... and, even if you get it, you still may hate it. At any rate, the second Semifinal of Eurovision 2012 is kicking off soon.
Eurovision 2012 Semifinal 2 kicks off at 9pm CET (Noon ET/9am PT) on May 24. Besides the live video link above, you can follow the Eurovision Twitter chatter below. As the Eurovision website seeps to be experiencing technical difficulties (such as failing to load), Twitter isn't a bad option.
The 18 acts competing in the second Eurovision 2012 semifinal seem to have less interesting names (no Trackshittaz or Rambo Amadeus, though Kaliopi is kind of neat, we guess). Instead, these pop acts are bringing songs with titles (but not tunes) reminiscent of already-existing hits.
Your 18 acts in Eurovision Semifinal 2 are:
- Belarus ("We Are The Heroes"- echoes the classic Bowie title)
- Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Bulgaria (is linking "Love Unlimited" to Grace Jones' "Love on Top of Love" too much of a stretch? Grace Jones rules)
- Georgia ("I'm a Joker" evokes the Steve Miller Band)
- Lithuania ("Love Is Blind" reminds us of U2's "Love is Blindness", in title, anyway)
- Norway ("Stay" - Lisa Loeb made that song title famous)
- Netherlands ("You And Me" is reminiscent of the Penny & the Quarters tune)
- Ukraine ("Be My Guest" is not from the Beauty and the Beast soundtrack, alas)
Not to play favorites and not, heavens forfend, to troll, but we're hoping that one of these acts will not only crush Jedward in the final, but erase them entirely from the pop-music landscape. We will post the results as soon as we get them.