Happy Canada Day: the quiz
Tuesday holidays are tricky for work schedules, so chances are you're celebrating the birth of our great nation from your desk today. We thought the best way to participate would be with a little slack-off time in the ol' cubicle of doom, so we've come up with a Canada quiz for just that purpose. (If you want a proper test, the CBC has a good one).
Proper schmopper. Here's our version:
1. What is the best Canadian beer commercial of all time?
A. The one where Bob Canuck yanks the shirt over the head of a daft Yankee and pummels him, hockey-style.
B. "I am Canadian"
C. The "Should the Kokanee Ranger live or die" campaign
D. This one.
2. How does author Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) characterize Canada?
A. A plucky beaver
B. A foppish dandy with a penchant for mischief
C. A polite, 80-year-old man with great health benefits.
D. A 34-year-old, intelligent woman
3. Which of the following is NOT a nickname normally applied to Toronto?
A. The center of the universe
E. The economic engine of Canada
4. Who of the following is NOT Canadian?
A. Keanu Reeves
B. Ed Harris
C. Mike Meyers
D. Kim Cattral
E. Jim Carrey
5. Which band isn't Canadian?
A. Arcade Fire
B. Wolf Parade
D. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
E. Broken Social Scene
6. What are language police?
A. People who fine you for using the wrong language (aka 'Tongue Troopers')
B. Radiohead's original title for Karma Police
C. A federal grammar program in Canadian elementary schools
D. Librarians who need help.
E. People who really really like speaking good
7. Who made "For all you kids out there..." famous?
A. Mike Tippett, when he rehearses for staff meetings
B. David Suzuki
C. Don Cherry
D. Martha Stewart
E. Celine Dion
8. Vancouver author Douglas Coupland is credited with coining what familiar phrase (even though it's actually the name of Billy Idol's first band)?
A. Ah, that old chestnut
B. Generation X
C. Go to health
E. Creative class
9. What was the original name for Canada Day?
A. Confederation Day
B. The British two-step
C. Postcolonialism day
D. Jour de Commonwealth
E. Dominion Day
10. What does the word Canada mean?
D. Maple Leaf
E. The nimble north and the insanity of vanity
Ok, that's all I got. Please feel free to add some more in a comment.
1. A, obviously
3. D, oddly
7. C, sometimes A