New Moon Soundtrack Released Friday & My Review
"The Twilight Saga: New Moon" soundtrack will be released 4 days early on October 16th by Atlantic Records. The release date was bumped up due to unprecedented demand from fans for the 15 original tracks written specifically for the "New Moon" movie.
All 15 songs can currently be previewed on the New Moon Myspace page. There are some full tracks on MySpace but some songs are just samples. Here is my review of each track on the "New Moon" soundtrack:
- Meet Me On The Equinox – Death Cab For Cutie: This song is reminiscent of the original Twilight soundtrack with music such as Mute Math’s “Spotlight.” The song perfectly describes Bella’s situation in the story as “everything ends” for her when Edward unexpectedly leaves.
- Friends – Band Of Skulls: This song to me describes the friendship between Bella and Jacob. He is the answer to her loss in New Moon and helps her carry on after Edward leaves. The mid-temp indie-rock sound of this track would fit really well with the scene where Bella and Jacob ride their motorcycles together.
- Thom Yorke – Hearing Damage: The lyrics and sound of this song seem like part of Bella’s stream of consciousness She goes through a great deal of loss in New Moon and lyrics such as “you’re mind’s restless/they say you’re getting better but you don’t feel any better/you wish you felt better” fit well with Bella’s fragile state of mind in New Moon.
- Possibility – Lykke Li: The mellow and simple melody of this song captures the isolation and feelings of loss that Bella has to deal with in New Moon. This song would be perfect for the scene at the beginning of New Moon where Edward leaves Bella in the forest.
- A White Demon Love Song – The Killers: The lyrics of this Killers song fit well with the presence of Edward that Bella senses throughout New Moon. Edward appears before her in a series of dream-like apparitions when she does anything dangerous. This song describes his almost-there presence and how it affects Bella.
- Satellite Heart – Anya Marina: Anya’s emotionally-wrought voice combines nicely with her lyrics: “I’m a satellite heart/lost in the dark.” This song is my favourite on the soundtrack because it is simply beautiful. This is Bella’s song.
- I Belong To You (New Moon Remix) – Muse: This is one of Stephenie Meyer’s favourite bands, and one she often listened to while in the process of writing Twilight. Muse’s sound on any of their songs seems like a good fit for the Twilight genre. This song is no exception. I feel like it will be used in transition scenes to create flow throughout the film.
- Rosylin – Bon Iver & St. Vincent: This somber tune has a ghostly feel to it. I would guess that it will be used in scenes were Bella is alone, perhaps during her walks along La Push’s First Beach.
- Done All Wrong – Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: The band title itself is well suited to New Moon. Bella tries to rebel against herself in an attempt to feel a dangerous thrill that distracts her from her sadness. Bella and Jacob both build motorcycles from scratch and Jacob teaches her how to ride. This song sounds like what Bella would feel when she realizes how she’s acting.
- Monsters – Hurricane Bells: This is another one of my favourite tracks because it livens up the soundtrack. Many of the songs thus far have been somber or subdued. This track would also be used for the motorcycle scenes or perhaps for the final scenes where Bella runs to save Edward in Italy from the Volturi vampires.
- The Violet Hour – Sea Wolf: I hadn’t heard Sea Wolf’s music before now and I am officially now a fan. They have a familiar sound ala Killers or Death Cab but it’s fresh. I think this song could be used for any scenes where Bella hangs out with her school friends. I can see her and Jacob building their bikes in his shed in La Push with this song in the background.
- Shooting The Moon – OK Go: OK Go is one of my favourite bands and this new song does not disappoint. The drum and acoustic guitar carry the tempo and it creates a kind of steady feeling to the song. This song could be played during scenes between Bella and her dad Charlie. Jacob and Charlie become vitally important to Bella in New Moon. They are her rocks, in a sense, who keep her from giving up on herself altogether.
- Slow Life – Grizzly Bear – I’m not crazy about this song. It’s a bit slow and lacks the emotional presence that I feel when I hear the other sad songs on the album. It does capture the ghostly aspects of Edward’s presence in New Moon though, and I feel like it could grow on me after a few more listens.
- No Sound But The Wind – Editors: The first thing I think of when I hear this song is the Volturi and the final scenes of New Moon that take place in Italy. There is a sense of things building up in this song, and it would work well with the standoff between Bella and the Cullens versus the Volturi vampires.
- New Moon (The Meadow) – Alexandre Desplat: This beautiful orchestral piece is a nice follow-up to Carter Burwell’s “Bella’s Lullaby” from the Twilight soundtrack. This should definitely be played in the movie when Bella returns alone to the meadow and is overcome by memories she shared with Edward. This is my third favourite track on the soundtrack.
Update: Wondering what order the songs actually appeared in throughout the "New Moon" movie? Here's a compiled list in order from beginning to end of "New Moon."
Hurricane Bells - Monsters: Shot of Bella driving in her truck to school the morning of her birthday.
Sea Wolf - The Violet Hour: Bella opens her gifts at her party, Alice snaps a photo of her and Edward. Pre-paper cut scene.
Anya Marina - Satellite Heart: Bella and Edward pull up at Bella's house in her truck after her birthday party. This song is playing on her truck's radio.
Bon Iver & St. Vincent - Roslyn: Edward asks Bella to take a walk with him in the woods. This is the break-up scene.
Lykke Li - Possibility: Transition from September to December, camera circles Bella as she sits in her room after losing Edward.
Muse - I Belong To You: I believe this song plays around the time Bella makes plans to hang out with Jessica after being grilled by Charlie about her depression.
Band of Skulls - Friends: Bella approaches the men by the motorcycles outside One Eyed Pete's bar in Port Angeles when she's out with Jessica.
OK Go - Shooting The Moon: Bella and Jacob work on building their motorcycles.
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Done All Wrong: Not entirely sure but I believe this is also playing when Bella and Jacob spend time together.
Thom Yorke - Hearing Damage: Charlie and co. are searching for the wolves in the woods, and the wolves are hunting Victoria. This also leads up to Bella's cliff-jumping scene.
Grizzly Bear - Slow Life: Bella is underwater after cliff-jumping and an apparition of Edward appears floating next to her.
Editors - No Sound But The Wind: I'm pretty sure it's during a Bella solo scene at night, perhaps after one of her nightmares.
New Moon Theme - End of the film.
Score - Throughout the film, featured during the scenes in Italy at the end with the Volturi.