Top 10 Prom Movie Scenes of All Time
Disney’s Prom, starring Aimee Teegarden, released in theatres last Friday (April 29), which got me thinking of the endless slew of teen movies from the late 90’s that were popular when I was in high school. With prom season officially underway, I can’t help but take a look back at some of the most memorable prom movie scenes of all time:
10. Twilight (2008) Bella (Kristen Stewart) falls in love with vampire Edward (Robert Pattinson). Edward worries about Bella missing out on human rights of passage and takes her to prom. Awww!
9. Prom Night (2008) What’s suppose to be the best night of their lives, Donna (Brittany Snow) and her friends must escape a deranged serial killer.
8. Never Been Kissed (1999) Josie Gellar (Drew Barrymore) is a reporter for the Chicago Sun Times who goes under cover as 17-year-old high school student as part of research for her story. She was a complete geek in high school and as an adult has still never been kissed. Josie looks at the opportunity as a do-over, but ends up falling in love with her teacher. Her identity is exposed after being named prom queen.
7. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) Based loosely on characters from Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew, Bianca (Larisa Oleynik) is beautiful and popular, but isn’t allowed to date until her older sister Kat (Julia Stiles) does. Bianca enlists the help of her love interest who has the school bad boy Patrick (Heath Ledger) woo Kat. Kat finds out about the scheme at prom of course.
6. Napoleon Dynamite (2004) Napolean Dynamite (Jon Heder) is an awkward, listless teenager who helps his friend Pedro run for class president against the popular girl, while dealing with his crazy home life and busting a few crazy moves along the way.
5. Footloose (1984) City boy Ren (Kevin Bacon) moves to a small town where music and dancing is outlawed. After delivering a heartfelt speech, Ren finally convinces the town to once again adopt music and dance. Cut to prom where Ren and company get their 80’s groove on.
4. She’s All That (1999) High school jock Zack (Freddie Prinze Jr.) makes a bet that he can turn nerd Laney (Rachel Leigh Cook) into the most popular girl into the prom queen. Cut to my favorite teen movie cheesy coordinated dance that somehow everyone in the school knows how to do.
3. Pretty in Pink (1986) Poor girl Andie (Molly Ringwald) gets asked to prom by popular rich guy Blane, but their friends try to tear them apart and Blane stops talking to Ande. Andie goes to the prom alone where Blane realizes the huge mistake he made.
2. Carrie (1976) A shy, abused girl with telekinetic powers gets pushed too far after getting pigs blood dropped on her on prom night and exacts revenge.
1. American Pie (1999) Probably the quintessential teen movie of the 90’s, four friends make a pact to lose their virginities by prom night.