Earthquake Long Island: Earthquake Hits Southampton, East End
Long Island Earthquake: 3.9 Magnitude Earthquake Shakes Southampton, East
A 3.9 magnitude earthquake shook Long Island on Tuesday. The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) says the quake hit at 10:45 a.m. Eastern Time.
The Long Island earthquake was located in the Atlantic Ocean about 100 miles off Southampton.
Though the 3.9 earthquake was minor the USGS says people may have felt tremors as far away as Connecticut.
- 127 km (79 miles) SSE (153°) from Quogue, NY
- 127 km (79 miles) SSE (162°) from Southampton, NY
- 128 km (79 miles) SSE (148°) from West Hampton Dunes, NY
- 137 km (85 miles) SE (144°) from Shirley, NY
- 188 km (117 miles) SE (145°) from Bridgeport, CT
- 197 km (122 miles) ESE (120°) from New York, NY