Fargo's rising flood waters puts Manitoba Military on alert
Fargo's rising Red River broke a record today by rising to a level not seen in 112 years, and the Canadian Military in Manitoba has been put on alert to help prevent the flooding in that region. The Mayor of Fargo North Dakota has called for more people to be evacuated as the river broke one of the major dikes and rose to almost 41 feet, which is 22 feet more than it should be, and the National Weather Service is saying that the river could be as high as 43 feet by tomorrow.
The main dike in Fargo only protects up to 43 feet.
The Mayor, Dennis Walaker however, says that he believes it won't go that high and they are not going to build the dike any higher.
"We're not going to proceed to take it to 44. Is that a gamble? We don't think so," Walaker said.
The National Guard is in Fargo helping to patrol the dikes, and 800 more troops have been added to the 900 already there.
People are being asked to stay off roads and in their homes unless they have been evacuated. More than 400 have been evacuated so far, including 100 inmates.
The Red Cross are on their way to operate emergency shelters; there are 85 volunteers there already.
Residents say that this is a sign that authorities are expecting a disaster.
In Manitoba, the Canadian military is on standby as they get ready to begin their own battle against the Red River rising in their area, and 850 people are getting ready to evacuate if necessary.
"We're exploring what assistance can be acquired, if needed, through our joint emergency preparedness program," federal Public Safety Minister Peter Van Loan said Thursday in Ottawa.
"And there's, of course, our disaster assistance program, [an] after-the-fact way of assisting with funding, should events arise."
It all depends on what happens south of the Border and how they are able to stave off the flooding down there at this point.