If Passed, Cap-and-Trade Bill Will Cost You Dearly
The Waxman-Markey cap-and-trade bill will hit consumers of petroleum fuels especially hard by dramatically increasing the costs of goods and services as noted in the graphic at right, according to two groups closely following the legislation.
In a three-page document (pdf) forwarded to me early this afternoon, American Petroleum Institute officials warn that people who use automobiles, trucks, planes, trains, heating oil and other non-transportation petroleum products will shoulder the lion’s share of the burden. In addition, the inequitable nature of the legislation could worsen the pain for everyone.
If, rather than read the API document above, you’d prefer seeing a “Top 10″ list of problems associated with Waxman-Markey, take a look at the Top 10 List of Problems associated with cap-and-trade legislation below, courtesy of the the Heritage Foundation:
1. Cap-and-trade is a massive energy tax;
2. It will not make a substantive impact on the environment;
3. It will kill jobs;
4. It will cause electricity bills and gas prices to sharply increase;
5. It will outsource manufacturing jobs and hurt free trade;
6. It will make you choose between energy, groceries, clothing and haircuts;
7. It will be highly susceptible to fraud and corruption;
8. It will hurt senior citizens, the poor, and the unemployed the worst;9. It will cost American families over $3,000 a year; and
10. President Obama admitted “Electricity Rates Would Necessarily Skyrocket” under a cap-and-trade program (January 2008). [Note: See my post for more details.]
I urge you to read, understand and take action upon this information — and DO IT NOW!
In addition to sharing this information with everyone you know, I urge you to CONTACT YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS in Washington, D.C., and demand they oppose this dangerous and costly legislation.