Tropical Storm Isaac: New Orleans Braces for Hurricane
Tropical Storm Isaac Targets New Orleans on Hurricane Katrina Anniversary
Tropical Storm Isaac, expected to reach hurricane conditions on the night of August 27, is headed for New Orleans. You can see an updated map of Tropical Storm Isaac's predicted path below.
Tropical Storm Isaac (which is expected to be Hurricane Isaac at that point) is predicted to make landfall in New Orleans at around 2am local time on August 29. Isaac is currently bringing 70mph winds.
Isaac will hit New Orleans on the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, which made landfall as a Category 3 storm in 2005. Isaac could reach Category 2, with 105mph winds. Hopefully this time the federal response, if needed, will be not quite so staggeringly inept.
A Hurricane Warning is in effect for:
- Morgan City, Louisiana To Destin Florida: this includes New Orleans and Lake Pontchartrain
A Hurricane Watch is in effect for:
- Intracoastal City To Morgan City, Louisiana
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for:
- The Florida Peninsula from Ocean Reef southward on the East Coast
- From Tarpon Springs southward on the West Coast
- The Florida Keys
- East Of Destin Florida to the Suwannee River
- Intracoastal City to Morgan City, Louisiana
A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for:
- East of Sabine Pass to west of Intracoastal City, Louisiana
The governors of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama declared states of emergency in anticipation of Tropical Storm Isaac.