Two Blocks Cordoned Off in Downtown Vancouver: Hazmat Called
Located at the intersection of Burrard and Nelson streets, the Electra building, formerly the BC Hydro Headquarters, was cordoned off by police, firetrucks, and ambulances this afternoon. Traffic going down Nelson and Hornby streets is being rerouted. Yesterday, a strange smell emanated from the building near the basement, and continued today. The tenants have been evacuated, and yours truly is currently providing room and board for one of the evacuees. More information as it comes.
Update: two hours ago, the caretaker reported to the building management company that there was an unknown chemical issue on site.
Update: The building was checked out last night. From the Vancouver Sun:
On Friday night, fire chief John Hudson said workers in the building -- which now houses an adult learning centre -- were using a urethane foam product to raise the concrete floor and used too much of the toxic product.
"From what we understand there has been more product put into the building than was anticipated," he said, at the scene around 6:30 p.m.
An off-gas was created, causing black smoke to pour out of the doors of Pattison high school adult program centre in the 900-block of Nelson Street, fire officials said at the scene.