Why Democrats Love the Pickens Plan
Pickens has made his money. He is known for eccentric spending, including donating over $100 million to his alma mater to help them put in better sports facilities. Any other oilman and I would question it. Pickens - he means what he says and he says what he means.
When anyone invests $300 million dollars into promoting alternative energy sources, the Democrats usually take notice. When that person is an oil tycoon, brother of a "Bush Pioneer", and someone who was a major contributor to the 2004 Swift Boat ads, that person gets an invitation from Nancy Pelosi to speak before the House Democratic Caucus.
Meet T. Boone Pickens.
A full overview of his plan is at PickensPlan.com, but here are the sticking points that drive the plan:
- US Oil imports nearing 70% at $700 billion per year
- The United States uses 25% of the oil in the world
- Natural Gas is the 2nd largest natural resource in the country and accounts for 22% of the electricity produced
- There are 8,000,000 cars in the world that run on natural gas
- Wind can replace the need for natural gas in electric production
Most Recommended Comment
miles from the frontline..., Wisconsin, United States