Work begins on £30m project to restore St Crispin Hospital site
Work on a £30 million project to restore all the historic buildings on the St Crispin Hospital site on the edge of Northampton has begun. Formally Northampton County Asylum, Berrywood Asylum later after WW11 became known as St. Crispin Hospital, Opened in 1876 and closed in 1995.
In 2009, the former owners of the hospital pulled out of the development and it was feared the historic buildings could be left to deteriorate.
But later, Irish firm WN Developments took over the site near Duston and announced major plans to bring it back to life.
They have already completed work on a block of new houses on the edge of the site and work has now begun to restore the historic hospital buildings.
The hospital complex dates back to 1876 when it opened as the Berrywood Asylum.
It was used by the military during World War One but later returned to use as a hospital.
The hospital closed down in 1995.