Brain Eating Amoeba: Second Confirmed Death - Could be LPQ-79?
On September 19, Director of the Preventive Medicine Agency, Dr. Nguyen Van Binh, confirmed that the child who died of brain abscess in Ho Chi Minh City was actually killed by brain eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri.
"The test results show that the samples of the child are positive for amoeba Naegleria fowleri," Binh said.
Previously, samples taken from the 6-year-old child was tested by the high molecular biological techniques at a hospital in HCM City, revealing that it is positive for Naegleria fowleri.
To be sure, the HCM City Forensic Center sent other samples taken from the child to others labs for testing.
According to the HCM City Preventive Health Center, the child lived in Binh Tan district and suffered from congenital mental retardation. The Ministry of Health has asked HCM City to send a detailed report on the case. This afternoon, September 19, the HCM City Health Department will have further information about the second death by Naegleria fowleri.
This is the second patient in Vietnam who is confirmed for being killed by brain eating amoeba. Last August, at the Ho Chi Minh City Hospital for Tropical Diseases, a 25-year-old patient from Phu Yen was the first identified death from Naegleria fowleri, after diving in a lake near his home to catch mussels.
According to experts, the brain eating amoeba lives in ponds and lakes. It can enter the brain through the nose when a person indulges in freshwater lakes and ponds.
The Ministry of Health has advised people not to bathe, swim in high-risk areas. If they have to, they should minimize water from getting into their noses, by using nose clips if possible. After bathing or swimming, they should clean their noses by nasal antiseptic. Upon detection of headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, people should immediate go to clinics for prompt diagnosis and treatment.