Chinese beef soup banned
The Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries have dicovered the chemical clenbuterol in 13 condensed beef soup products that were produced by six Chinese companies.
A chemical that can cause acute food poisoning has been found in more imported Chinese food products, according to Korean safety authorities.
The Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries said it discovered clenbuterol in 13 condensed beef soup products, in concentrations of 0.2 to 7.7 parts per billion. The contaminated shipments weighed 83 tons and came from six Chinese companies, it said. The disclosure came a week after 0.03 ppb of the chemical were found in Chinese-made meat soup in a customs check by the Korean National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service.
Lee Joo-Ho, the chief of the National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service said lab tests confirmed the beef stock was contaminated with Clenbuterol, a chemical that can cause a rapid pulse, stomachache, and various heart-related disorders.
(RTTNews) - Concerned over the presence of a potentially harmful chemical in Chinese beef stock widely used for soups, South Korea banned its import.
National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service chief Lee Joo-Ho announced the food ministry's decision at a press conference on Tuesday.
A laboratory examination of the imported beef stock proved that it contained Clenbuterol, a chemical that can cause a rapid pulse, stomachache, and various heart-related disorders, he said.
Most of the 17 shipments, which were subject to scrutiny last week, were tainted with the hazardous chemical, he added.