Kids Drink Windshield Wiper Fluid at Arkansas Day Care
Ten children at an Arkansas home-based day care accidently drank windshield wiper fluid that was left in the refrigerator.
The kids, all seven years old or younger, had about an ounce of the stuff before realizing that it wasn't fruit punch. It seems obvious to us, but to a five-year-old who doesn't really read, it looks just like blue Kool-Aid.
The owner and operator of the day care could lose her license over this.
Only one child remained hospitalized Friday morning, after blood samples showed "measurable levels" of methanol, a highly toxic alcohol that can induce comas and cause blindness, officials said. The day care also provided the fluid for testing.
"All we know was that the individual at the day care had recently shopped and had come back to the day care with a lot of different products," James told The Associated Press. "This product was mistakenly grabbed and thought to be Kool-Aid and put in the refrigerator."
If it goes under the hood, it does not go into the fridge if you have kids anywhere nearby.