Man awarded over $7.2 million in microwave popcorn lawsuit
On September 19, 2012, a U.S. federal court jury settled in favor of Wayne Watson, 59. He claimed that the popcorn manufacturer and the supermarket chain that sold the popcorn failed to warn on the label that the butter flavoring, diacetyl, was dangerous to one's health.
Watson developed a chronic condition known as "popcorn lung" from the chemical that was used to bring out the buttery flavor in the popcorn.
"Popcorn lung" is the disease bronchiolitis obliterans that is caused by inhaling the buttery fumes in microwave popcorn. Watson admitted to eating at least two bags of microwave popcorn every day over a 10-year period.
Read more here.