Spoiled Soup Sickens 170 Wedding Guests in China
170 wedding banquet guests became ill and were rushed to hospital after cooks added rust remover to the large pot filled with food instead of salt.
"All food was stewed in a big pot but after dinner started, all of them felt the taste was too bland," the newspaper said.
Someone added what he or she thought was salt -- several times. An hour later, the guests were being rushed to hospital.
"When I arrived at the hospital, the observation room was packed with people vomiting, with stomach pains and with diarrhea," a doctor was quoted as saying.
The symptoms were short-lived and all the victims were released by the next day.
The banquet took place in northern Hebei province on Friday night, and luckily the mishap and subsequent illnesses occurred the night before the actual wedding. Nothing like food poisoning to ruin your big day.