Mystery Mojo Rising: Jim Morrison's death called into question
The death of Doors frontman Jim Morrison has long been one of rock's great mysteries. Morrison died in 1971 in Paris (he's buried in the famous Pere Lachaise Cemetary there); according to his girlfriend Pamela Courson he had died in the tub after the couple had spent a night out at the movies and having dinner.
Now, however, a Paris club owner named Sam Bernett has written a book that disputes that claim, stating that he found Morrison dead in a toilet stall in his club. If Bernett is correct, then Jim Morrison died of a heroin overdose and was subsequently carried to his home and placed in the bath by drug dealers.
The claim is called into question by rock biographer Stephen Davis, who says that if Morrison did die in the club, the truth would have come out a long time ago. So what is the truth, then? We're not likely to find out anytime soon. Until then, the legendary death of the Lizard King remains a legend.
"When we found him dead, he had a little foam on his nose, and some blood too, and the doctor said, 'That must be an overdose of heroin,'" Bernett said. Bernett added that he did not see Morrison take any heroin that night but said the singer was known to sniff the drug because he was afraid of needles.
Bernett says the two drug dealers insisted Morrison was just unconscious and carried him out of the club. Though Bernett says he wanted to call the paramedics and authorities, the club's owner ordered him to keep quiet to avert a scandal.
Bernett believes the dealers brought Morrison's body home and dropped it into the bathtub, a last attempt to revive him.