10 things I know about the Kentucky Derby
This Saturday, May 7, will be the "The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports" or "The Fastest Two Minutes in Sports" otherwise known as the Kentucky Derby.
Some quick facts.
1. The race was first run in 1875.
2. It is 10 furlongs = 1.25 miles.
3. The Derby is run at Churchill Downs in Louisville, KY.
4. The purse is $2 million with $1.425 million to the winner.
5. The colts and geldings carry 126 lbs, and fillies carry 121 lbs. I could cut off both legs and they still wouldn't let me jockey.
6. It is the first leg of the Triple Crown. The Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes are the other two races.
7. Most wins by a jockey are:
8. Secretariat has the fastest run - 1:59.40 - (1973)
9. Only two other horses have gone other two minutes - Sham in the same race as Secretariat and Monarchos in 2001 - 1:59.97.
10. Only the top five finishers receive money.
And a bonus.
Churchill downs will hold about 150,000 people IF they don't bring their horses.