Andy Irons Dead: Autopsy Scheduled After Possible Drug Overdose
Pro Surfer Andy Irons Was Found Dead in His Hotel Room in Dallas Texas
Irons was a three-time world surfing champion, but was found dead in his hotel room on Tuesday while on a layover to his home in Kauai, Hawaii. He was on his way home from a surfing competition in Puerto Rico where he had to withdraw after reportedly being diagnosed with Dengue fever.
According to the Star Advertiser, his death is being investigated as a possible overdose of methadone and an autopsy has been scheduled for Wednesday to try and determine the exact cause of death. Toxicology tests will also have to be performed so his cause of death may not be released for a few months.
Irons was staying at the Grand Hyatt Hotel, but when he did not respond to his wake-up call, staff entered his room and found him dead in his bed. He was pronounced dead at 9:46am by emergency personnel.
His body showed no signs of trauma, but methadone was found inside a prescription drug container called zolpidem, which is commonly prescribed for insomnia. Methadone is a substance used to control pain, while symptoms of Dengue fever include joint pain and viral headaches.
He was known as an aggressive surfer who could cut through waves with tremendous speed and force. A lanky and sinewy figure, Mr. Irons had such incredible leg strength that he was able to propel himself off the lips of waves several feet into the air.
Irons leaves behind his wife Lyndie who is seven-months pregnant with the couple's first child.