Canadian Road Nationals -- Svein Tuft Wins ITT
With everyone focusing on the Tour de France, which starts in Brest in just a few hours, it's easy to forget that there's alot of other racing going on around the world. And with the Olympics on the horizon, the races have more significance than they would in other years as riders try to tune themselves for their big event.
Svein Tuft has been on a big of a tear lately, winning the Tour de Beauce, decimating a field of local teams this week at the Gastown race and now a very convincing win at the Canadian Championships. Let's hope he can keep his form until the Olympics. With only three riders at the Olympics (Tuft, Ryder Hesjedal and Michael Barry) the probably don't have much of a chance, but if Hesjadal has good form coming out of the Tour and the three can stay with the front group you never know.
Symmetrics had an outstanding showing overall today, placing 4 riders in the top 6. The tragedy in this story is that Symmetrics is losing a major sponsor and the team is likely to dissolve before the end of the summer. Anyone out there want to sponsor a team with a great story and a track record of success in North America?
July 4, 2008 (Saint-Georges, QC) - Svein Tuft (BC) Symmetrics Cycling has won the men's 40km ITT today in Saint-Georges, QC taking the title over Ryan Roth (ON) Team RACE Pro in second and Zach Bell (YK) Symmetrics Cycling in 3rd. David Veilleux (QC) Kelly Benefit Strategies/Medifast 4th in the Elite Men's category won the U23 Men's title with Bryson Bowers (ON) Jet Fuel Coffee second and Garret McLeod (NS) Apogee/Kuota 3rd.
Full Elite Men's results here.
Full U23 Men's results here.
1. Svein Tuft (BC) Symmetrics Cycling 51:23.60
2. Ryan Roth (ON) Team RACE Pro 53:15.62
3. Zach Bell (YK) Symmetrics Cycling 54:15.66
4. David Veilleux* (QC) Kelly Benefit Strategies/Medifast 54:36.03
5. Eric Wohlberg (ON) Symmetrics Cycling 55:04.59
6. Will Routley (BC) Symmetrics Cycling 55:10.97
7. Rob Britton (BC) Trek Red Truck p/b Mosaic Homes 55:14.68
8. Bryson Bowers* (ON) Jet Fuel Coffee 55:18.30
9. Alexander Cloutier (QC) VW 55:50.96
10. Charles Dionne (QC) Équipe du Québec 56:01.76
1. David Veilleux (QC) Kelly Benefit Strategies/Medifast 54:36.03
2. Bryson Bowers (ON) Jet Fuel Coffee 55:18.30
3. Garret McLeod (NS) Apogee/Kuota 56:06.73
4. Charles Bryer (ON) Cicowerks 56:28.06
5. Zach Garland (NF) Kona Adobe 56:40.50