Iran 'frees yachtsmen'
Further to the unconfirmed report below it has now been confirmed that the yachtsmen were released early Wednesday morning 2nd December.
Britain's Foreign Office confirmed Wednesday that five British sailors detained by Iran after their racing yacht strayed into Iranian waters last week have been released.
Iran's official IRNA news agency reported that the sailors were released early Wednesday after an interrogation by authorities found their entry into Iranian waters had been a mistake.
"I welcome the fact this has been dealt with in a straightforward, professional way by the Iranian authorities," said U.K. Foreign Secretary David Miliband.
"Obviously, this has been a real ordeal for the young men and their families and I'm really delighted that it's over for them and that we can call the matter closed," he said.
Original Report below:
Iran has reportedly freed the five British yachtsmen being held after they strayed into Iranian waters.
These reports are as yet unconfirmed but are thought by diplomatic sources to be true.
The five were taking part in Dubai-Muscat Offshore Race on board the yact he Kingdom of Bahrain.
It appears that the Iranian investigators believe that the Yacht strayed into their waters after mechanical problems and had no 'mal-intent'.
There were worries that the political arguments Iran is embroiled in with the US and other western countries over their nuclear energy programme might have delayed any release of the yachtsmen.
Iran's official IRNA news agency said the five had been freed after an interrogation by authorities established that their yacht had entered Iranian waters "by mistake".
BBC correspondent Christian Fraser in Bahrain said he had spoken to Vanessa Bloomer, Mr Bloomer's wife, who said she had received no independent verification of the men's release.