London 2012 Modern Pentathlon Photos, Live Results
Olympic Modern Pentathlon: the Sport with the Laser Guns
August 11 sees the Men's Modern Pentathlon at the London Summer Olympics. Yes, this is the sport with the laser guns.
The Modern Pentathlon, as the name suggests, consists of five different disciplines. These are combined into four consecutive events, which we describe below.
With each description, you'll find the live results for each event. Once complete, we'll add the overall winners. Also, check out photos from the Modern Pentathlon in the gallery below.
These are the Modern Pentathlon events, and their results so far:
- Fencing: As the competing athlete, you must fence against all the others. You win 1,000 points for winning 70% of your matches. Points are deducted for losing more than 30% of the fencing bouts, and added for added for winning more than 70%. Pentathlon Fencing Results
- 200m Freestyle: You must swim, sir. 1,000 points for a time of 2:30; points added or subtracted based on any differential. Pentathlon Swimming Results
- How's your horsemanship? We ask because you have channel your inner Viggo Mortensen and ride a strange horse (it's not BYOH) through a show-jumping course. You begin with 1,200 points at the start of this stage, and lose points for missing jumps, knocking over obstacles, or if your horse basically rebels against you. (3:20pm BST/10:20am ET/7:20am PT) Pentathlon Riding Results
- Combined event: Running and marksmanship. This is a 3k run punctuated by targets, which you must hit with a laser gun. The switch from pellets to lasers was done in the interests of safety, but at the cost of accuracy. The targets don't even properly register hits if it's too sunny, so this event will take place at dusk. The points accrued in the previous events will dictate start time in the combined event. (6:45pm BST/1:45pm ET/10:45am PT) Pentathlon Combined Event Results
- Gold: David Svoboda (Czech Republic) 5928 (Olympic Record)
- Silver: Cao Zhongrong(China) 5904
- Bronze: Adam Marosi (Hungary) 5836
Remember the bit about using a strange horse? Well, Shearwater Oscar threw SOuth Korean pentathlete Hwang Woojin: Deadspin has video.
We know that CrossFit is meant to train you for overall fitness, but it isn't particularly useful for Modern Pentathlon. Okay, here are the photos.