Mayweather vs. Marquez Fight Rescheduled on Sept. 19
The highly anticipated showdown for the welterweight fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Juan Manuel Marquez has been officially rescheduled for September 19 after Mayweather who suffered a rib injury while on training. The Mayweather vs. Marquez fight was originally scheduled July 18. The Mayweather vs. Marquez bout will still take place at MGM Grand in Las Vegas and be televised live on pay-per-view. The former pound-for-pound king, who was slated to fight Marquez this month issued a statement Friday that said he's been cleared by doctors following a rib injury and the fight will go off Sept. 19.
"I am relieved to be cleared to fight as I was already looking forward to getting back in the ring," said Mayweather. "Trust me, September 19 is a great weekend for boxing, and all of my fans, of which there are many Mexicans too, can certainly hold on to their hats and sombreros when I get back in to the ring and show them what they have been missing these past 18 months. I will destroy Marquez and reclaim my rightful place as boxing's pound-for-pound king all in one night. Don't miss it."
Marquez, who has also agreed to fight on the new date, is excited about appearing yet again on the tradition of El Grito de Independence. “I am happy that Mayweather has been cleared to fight and we can get down to business on September 19,” said Marquez. “This weekend is not just an important weekend for boxing, but even more so for all of the Mexican and Mexican-American people I will be fighting for who will have a great reason to celebrate my win over Mayweather, which will be for all of the people and for the entire country of Mexico that night. I am sure of victory and si se puede- yes we can and yes we will!”
Ticket sales reportedly had been slow for the pay-per-view event, but they should get a significant boost because of the new date. This will be a good test of Mayweather’s marketability. When Mayweather retire last 2007 just at a time when he was becoming a popular fighter in the boxing world. Since he hung up the gloves, there have been a number of big boxing stars that have moved in and taken the place for the number one of them is Manny Pacquiao. "This particular fight did extremely well on ticket sales. Several price categories sold out," Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told the Associated Press. "When the fight was announced to be postponed, we were over $5.6 million in ticket sales and it was shaping up to be one of the largest non-heavyweight fights in the history of Las Vegas, not involving Oscar. We were ahead of what Pacquiao vs. Hatton did with the same amount of time to promote."
Boxing fans are all excited and their opinions might vary on who's really boxing's No. 1 pound-for-pound champion. Mayweather or Pacquiao?
The Mayweather vs. Marquez Postponed fight Tickets priced at $1,000, $750, $600, $300 and $150, not including applicable service charges, Ticket sales at $1,000, $750, $600 and $300 are limited to 10 per person and ticket sales at $150 are limited to two (2) per person with a total ticket limit of 10 per person. To charge by phone with a major credit card, call Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000. Tickets also are available for purchase at www.mgmgrand.com or www.ticketmaster.com.