Sri Lanka vs New Zealand Nicol takes New Zealand to 174
New Zealand innings
Total (7 wickets; 20 overs; 99 minutes) 174 (8.70 runs per over)
- Powerplay: Overs 0.1 - 6.0 (Mandatory - 43 runs, 0 wicket)
- New Zealand: 50 runs in 6.4 overs (40 balls), Extras 2
- 1st Wicket: 50 runs in 40 balls (RJ Nicol 11, MJ Guptill 38, Ex 2)
- New Zealand: 100 runs in 12.3 overs (75 balls), Extras 3
- RJ Nicol: 50 off 36 balls (3 x 4, 3 x 6)
- New Zealand: 150 runs in 17.0 overs (102 balls), Extras 8
- Innings Break: New Zealand - 174/7 in 20.0 overs (JEC Franklin 8)
They might not have had the panache of Sherlock Holmes, but New Zealand made their way through the Sri Lankan mystery all right. Rob Nicol, who wouldn't have looked out of place at all in Godfather, used some muscle to score 58 off 40 and consign Ajantha Mendis to his worst Twenty20 international figures, 1 for 48, a match after he had registered his best. The other mystery bowler, Akila Dananjaya, a net bowler three months ago, bowled his confusing all sorts to exercise some control, but even he had a straight hit him smack in the face. He continued with his spell, though, and ended with a respectable 2 for 32.
Misfields and overthrows overshadowed Sri Lanka's mystery at the start of the innings, and Martin Guptill and Nicol got New Zealand off to a good start. The hitting, though only started after two overs that went for just four. From the third onwards, both the openers started hitting, and hitting straight. Two shots stood out, Nicol picking a Lasith Mainga slower one and chipping it over short fine, and Guptill charging down and flat-batting a Malinga short ball over mid-off. The second hit took them to 41 after 5.4 overs, and soon Mahela Jayawardene had to go to spin.
Sri Lanka and West Indies are in Super 8 Group1 . Both team would like to win this match so that way to Semi Final could be easy.
Click Here for Live Score
Most Recommended Comment
Tehachapi, California, United States