8 Year Old Girl Swallows 30 Magnets, Steel Balls
I find this story is very strange.
Why would an 8 year old swallow 30 steel balls thinking they were candy? Does she have some disability that would make her think this? I can't imagine why any 8 year old child would do something as crazy as this unless there was something seriously wrong with their mental capacity and obvious lack of normal child development.
I have a child half her age and he would NEVER conceive or think of doing something like this.
Don't you think 8 years old is old enough to know better under normal circumstances? It just makes you wonder...
(CBS) An eight-year-old Indiana girl swallowed 30 magnets and steel balls from a toy last month and, her father says, needed emergency surgery to save her from what doctors told him were eight gunshot or stab-like holes in her intestines.
The parts came from a toy called Magnetix, made by Mega Brands, which issued a statement about the incident:
"Mega Brands was saddened to learn that a child sustained injury from ingesting a large number of toy parts, some of which apparently contained magnets. While we have not been able to confirm whether the toy involved was a MEGA Brands product, it is clear this was a highly unusual and isolated situation and is not indicative of any problem with Mega Brands' magnetic construction toys currently on the market. In general, if a child swallows 30 pieces of any toy, it is likely that it will result in harm regardless of the toy in question."