Antifreeze intentionally fed to dogs?
File this under the "OMG what is wrong with people" category. Those poor dogs.
One dog is battling for its life after at least five pets were poisoned in High Park over the weekend, leading some dog owners to fear a pet-killer is on the loose.
Police said one dog is not expected to survive the poisoning, which caused residents to recall deadly cases of pet-poisoning in recent years.
Four years ago one dog died and 15 others fell ill in Withrow Park, near Danforth and Pape Aves. Public health officials found hot dogs laced with insecticide planted, but the perpetrator was never caught.
In February of this year, three dogs died and many others fell sick after exposure to rat poison at Delma Park in Etobicoke, sparking fears someone did it on purpose.
In the latest incident, it appears someone put antifreeze into the two drinking pans next to the hydrant that pumps water for dogs in High Park, said Sgt. Ray Meech of Toronto Police 11 Division.
"Antifreeze is sweet and the dogs will drink the water," Meech said.
Police seized two containers that dogs drink from as evidence and cordoned off the area. They said the decision to reopen the area rests with the city.
Other than one that is expected to die, the dogs are in serious but stable condition, said Dr. Barb Bryer of the Veterinary Emergency Clinic.
As the clinic was the only one open, vets were able to connect the sick animals that had all been to High Park this weekend.
Bryer said dog walkers are worried the poisonings are intentional. She said pet owners should look for symptoms such as staggering, vomiting and drinking and urinating more frequently. Clarke Robert, who walks his basset hound Bartholomew, said there's been a dispute between dog owners and people opposed to the off-leash area.