Drinkers and staff in pub burn under the wrong lights
Bar staff and pub goers at a Scottish bar started to feel dizzy and sick after it turned out someone changed harmless blue fluorescent lights with powerful UV tanning lights commonly used for tanning salon sunbeds.
The manager, Emma McLean replaced the bulbs at the bar with the wrong kind by accident and most of the drinkers and staff stood underneath the powerful bulbs for hours and got sunstroke and required hospital treatment.
These are the same lights used in tanning salons that you are only supposed to be under for a few minutes at a time.
Barman, Morgan Smith had to be rushed to hospital because he developed severe burns to his neck after working under the same light for his full shift.
The accident happened at the Pub in the Square in Buckie, Banffshire.
Some people are taking legal action against the pub.
Barman Morgan Smith suffered severe burns to his neck.
His sister Emma, 21, said last night: “He was really badly burnt and had sunstroke.
“He was all dizzy and couldn’t see because of the brightness of the lights.
“His neck started peeling and was in a right state. Nobody could believe he got sunstroke from standing behind a bar.”
The Pub in the Square, affectionately referred to by locals as the Pits, had its blue fluorescent lights behind the bar replaced two weeks ago.
But manageress Emma ended up getting the wrong type and installed the suntanning bulbs — which people are only supposed to be under for a few minutes at a time.
The mistake only came to light when members of staff, who had been subjected to the heat all night, began to complain of feeling dizzy.
One local revealed last night: “One barmaid said she couldn’t see.