Vdara Hotel 'Death Ray' Burns Tourists in Vegas
If You Mess with the Vdara Hotel Death Ray, You Get Burned
The pool at the Vdara Hotel in Las Vegas has an additional hazard beyond slippery concrete and the nefarious deep end: a "death ray". Apparently, an architectural quirk in the Cdara Hotel's design has the sun refracting through a particular glass panel, which acts as a magnifying glass. The resulting sunbeam points at the pool.
Vegas Death Ray: A Known Hazard
Visitors to the Vdara Hotel pool have actually suffered burns, and plastic objects left in the sunbeam's path tend to melt. Hotel employees have taken to calling it "the death ray". The Vdara Hotel management prefers the term "solar convergence phenomenon".
When building a giant refractor in the middle of the desert, MGM (which owns the Vdara) thought that coating the hotel's windows with a film that reduced the efficiency of light passing through the glass would mitigate the "death ray" effect. MGM miscalculated.
"I'm sitting there in the chair and all of the sudden my hair and the top of my head are burning," Pintas told ABC News. "I'm rubbing my head and it felt like a chemical burn. I couldn't imagine what it could be."