Halloween Costumes 2009: What Will Be Hot
Halloween 2009 is approaching, and people are already getting their costumes together. So, what's hot his year? Every year, there are a few costumes (especially Halloween costumes for adults) that dominate the Halloween parade and party scene, no matter where you are. These range from news events to pop culture references. Halloween costumes for women don't necessarily have to be revealing, either, though that's of course up to you. Last year was all about Heath Ledger's Joker. A few years ago, the New York Halloween Parade featured countless Roy Horn-and-tiger duos as Halloween costumes for couples. One year, my friend went as Hurricane Katrina. So let's predict some of Hot Halloween Costumes for 2009.
So what will be hot this year?
- Michael Jackson- It'll be best to make your own costume, since pre-made Michael Jackson Halloween costumes will sell like hotcakes. This one's not so much a prediction as a promise. Not just Thriller and Smooth Criminal, either: look for costumes that act as commentary on Michael Jackson's personal life, too.
- Max from Where the Wild Things Are. Look for store-bought and DIY.
- Balloon Boy: This will be a last-minute hit, for sure.
- Barack Obama- I predict quite a few of these, including versions of the Change poster.
- I don't think people are done with George W. Bush costumes yet, since attaching a shoe to one's head is pretty easy. (I'd like to see a Harold and Kumar venison, though)
- Lil Wayne- This is pretty easy to make yourself. It's all about the hair. And the fake tats. Unless you have loads of real tats.
- Ted Kennedy: Someone somewhere is going to do a tasteless Chappaquiddick-inspired costume.
- Lady Gaga. This one's a gimme: go to the local craft store and go nuts. This was actually quite popular last year, and Lady Gaga herself featured some of them on her blog.
- Inglorious Basterds: Quentin Tarantino flicks are prime fodder for costumes. Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are prime examples.
- District 9: I can't imagine a Halloween parade without a few Prawns.
- Michael Meyers: Rob Zombie's H2 will inspire a few strong, silent types in boiler suits. (I may go as the other Michael Meyers, though. haven't decided yet)
- Financial-crisis-inspired corporate outfits: Prison blues, torn suits, I'm not sure yet, but I predict a big turnout of bailout-inspired costumes.
- Brüno: Lederhosen hotpants, transparent vinyl clothing. This may be tough to look at, depending on who's wearing it, but expect to see several Brünos (Brüni?) on the streets.
- Kanye West: You can run up and crash any party you like.
- Dirty Dancing: Look for couples going as Johnny Castle and Baby.
- Twitter. I want to see someone go as Twitter. How would you pull that off?
- Tallahassee: not the city, but Woody Harrelson's character from Zombieland.
- We Are Heroes: The super-hero costumes from the ABDC winners' final performance
- Captain Lou Albano: Back when WWE was WWF. As a couples costume: Captain Lou and Cyndi Lauper
- Naughty schoolgirls and other sexy adult costumes
- Darth Vader
Pirates are played out, though, as are Snakes on a Plane (not my call). Also check out Halloween costumes for couples and last-minute Halloween costume ideas. One year, I carved out a massive pumpkin and wore it on my head, with a green rain poncho. Basically, I went as a jack o'lantern. Extra points for authenticity, but my hair smelled like pumkin for days afterward. Proceed at your own risk.
What do you think will be the big Halloween costumes of 2009?