The Commodore 64 Has Returned: C64, VIC-Pro, VIC-Slim
Welcome Back, Commodore 64
It's like Geek Christmas: the Commodore 64 is back! F*ck, yeah! The Commodore webstore is open, and orders will ship in three weeks.The new Commodore 64 is a computer inside a keyboard (the future is here!), still rocking the beige plastic and iconic clickety-click key sound. Accomodations have been made for card readers and a DVD or Bluray drive.
Commodore 64 Specs:
- Cherry keyboard
- Dual Core 525 Atom processor
- NVIDIA Ion2 graphics
- 2GB of DDR3 memory - expandable to 4GB
- DVD R/W (Blu-ray upgrade optional)
- Multi format card reader/writer, USB slot
- 1080p HD quality video playback, 6 Channel High Definition Audio
- C64 emulator to play classic Commodore 64 games
- Fully PC compatible, ships with Ubuntu Linux 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)
Note that the Commodore OS will ship separately: those who preorder will end up getting the Commodore 64 with Linux OS before the emulator ships. As long as it will run Forbidden Forest, then the Commodore 64 will be a hit. (Did you know that there was a C64 game called Samantha Fox Strip Poker? Does Samantha Fox know about this?)
Commodore VIC-Pro & VIC-Slim
Commodore is also selling the VIC-Pro and VIC-Slim, which are not retro-styled. The VIC-Pro has higher-end PC features, and the VIC-Slim is marketed towards schools, hotels, and businesses that will have public-use computers.
With all of Commodore's new offerings, it's BYO monitor.