First CarbonFree® Mobile Phone
This environmentally designed consumer product earned Carbonfund.org’s CarbonFree® Product Certification after an extensive product life-cycle assessment, according to Carbonfund's website.
The ailing tech giant Morotola is appealing to the eco-friendly consumer by its attempt to minimize carbon footprints of mobile phone. Features include:
- A casing made of 100% recycled water bottles.
- Partnership with Carbonfund.org offseting the phone's energy footprint by investing in renewable energy and reforestation.
- Postage-paid recycling envelope in the box to return it or a previous mobile phone at the product's life cycle end.
- Reduced product packaging uses 22% less material.
- Phone manual printed on post-consumer recycled paper, soy-based inks.
It is yet to be seen if this is a marketing ploy, an effective strategy to fight e-waste or both? Nevertheless Motorola has taken an important first step in the right direct for the mobile communication industry.