iPod Nanos on fire!
rpshen | August 19, 2008 at 08:41 amby
1299 views | 7 Recommendations | 21 comments
The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (Meti) said it had begun an investigation into the incidents, which involved Nanos sold in the first year after the player’s launch in 2005.
“There have been multiple cases of overheating and fire damage, in particular during recharging, so please use caution,” it said in a statement on its website.
According to the ministry, Apple has recorded 14 similar problems with Nanos sold in Japan, including two which caused minor burns.
The ministry said the incidents were caused by four models -- MA004J/A, MA005J/A, MA099J/A and MA107J/A -- of which 1.81 million units were sold between September 2005 and September 2006 in Japan.
"Users need to be careful about overheating of the machines," the ministry said in a statement, warning that particular care is needed when recharging the iPods.
What does Apple plan to do with their product? Apparently nothing. They believe that lithium ion batteries, used by iPods and commonly found in other household electronics, can overheat in extreme cases and in some carry cases, so it is not necessary to recall any iPods. And if your iPod goes on fire, please be assured that Apple will gladly exchange the defective parts.
"Our ministry told Apple to improve its technological development and probe the cause of the incidents so that similar incidents do not happen again," the official said.
There was no immediate comment from Apple. Public broadcaster NHK said the company has no plan to recall any iPods but is ready to exchange defective parts.
The US computer giant has already warned that iPod, iPod nano or iPod shuffle may generate excess heat while being charged in certain carry cases.
Lithium ion batteries, which Apple uses for iPods, are common in consumer electronics, such as mobile telephones and personal computers.
However, major battery makers, including electronics giant Sony Corp., have occasionally been forced to recall their lithium ion battery packs after reports of overheating and fire.
Samoss13These members have powered this story: