SIX SIGMA TRAINING-A LESSON IN DRASTIC DEFECT REDUCTION
SIX SIGMA-THE CONCEPT
Six sigma is a systematic ,organised and data based approach that focuses on achieving near zero defects i.e eliminating defects almost totally. It covers all processes pertaining to manufacturing, transactions, products and services.
Six Sigma can be attained only if there are not more than 3.4 defects per total yield of a million. Anything that goes beyond the boundaries of customer specifications is a six sigma defect.
The core principle is the usage of six sigma improvement projects that specifically emphasize on improving the process and reducing variations.
There are two types of six sigma processes:
1. DMAIC-Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control.-It is for improvement of existing processes which fall short of specifications.
2. DMADV-Define, Measure ,Analyze, Design, Verify-It is used for the development of new processes and products at quality specified by six sigma approach.
Six Sigma Courses are available which cater to the following specific roles which have to be carried out for successful implementation:
· Executive leader
· Master Black Belts
· Green Belts
THE CONCEPT OF LEAN
Lean is a managerial process that focuses on quick processes and efficiency . This combined with an effort to cut out all kinds of waste in the functions and processes of an organization.
Lean Six Sigma courses teach lean six sigma training that is an integrated managerial approach of combining lean and six sigma. This process utilises the concept of DMAIC. The personnel are classified by the martial arts classification system i.e white belts, yellow belts, green belts, black belts and master black belts.
· THE WHITE BELTS: They go through a sophisticated and high level overview based training. They get very well acquained with some basic terminology about six sigma. They support green belts or black belts with data collection. It lasts usually upto four hours.
· THE GREEN BELTS: They are trained from a few days upto two weeks and basically focus on projects in their own functional areas. They are not very familiar with really advanced concepts of six sigma courses.
· BLACK BELTS: They are trained for a period of week to four weeks. They are capable of working on strategically more complex and cross-functional projects.
· MASTER BLACK BELTS: They mentor and coach green belts and black belts. They also take on larger projects of a large company.
· YELLOW BELTS: They review improvement of processes and assist and support the project.
IMPORTANCE OF SIX SIGMA CERTIFICATION
The six sigma certification is important because:
· It determines the level of proficiency in the subject
· Considerably hikes your remuneration package.
· Is a highly valued qualification for prospective employers.
SIX SIGMA CERTIFICATION
A Six Sigma Certification consists of learning the relevant subject matter, passing written proficiency test and exhibiting ability to handle hands on application in a real time work environment. The Sigma training can be accessed by paying a fee from a variety of Six sigma training institutes. It is usually a combination of online and classroom training.For Six Sigma certification There is a proficiency test that is administered by the training institute or the business hiring the training company.
So, if you want your organisation to get that competitive edge or want to significantly enhance the value of your resume in the job market, Six Sigma training and certification is the best way to go about it!