A start-up kit for web design
Below are the few points which I think must be kept in mind while designing a web site and few not. As “right to choose” is the fundamental right of each human being, so I will not suggest which are do’s and which one are don’ts. You decide on your own and comment me which one did you opt under do’s and don’ts.
1. Don’t over burden your web site, in order to provide every thing to your customer. Keep your web site thematic and product/service concerned. If you have got many services or products then make a separate page for each one with their respective explanations. Make an index page in addition, so that the visitor can direct himself to his choice.
2. Less is more. It’s not necessary that you fill each and every space by cramming about your product/ services. Sometime writing less and introducing some images which interpret your message can be wise and meaningful. Your visitor is smart; let him make sense guess about your product/service.
3. Add graphics to taste. You might have listen in any cookery show that always add salt to taste otherwise it will ruin your effort. A little less or more of salt can make your experience horrible. The same piece of advice goes with graphics. You must be careful about adding graphics. Add graphics according to the need of the web site. In order to make your site jazzy and colorful you will end up in making it too heavy.
4. Make your user anxious not confused. Design your web site in a way that the visitor gets trapped into the cage of anxiety and clicks the next page to find out “what is next”. But be careful he must not get confused in your navigational structure.
5. Feed back is the success mantra. The objective of web site is to interact with your customers and a successful communication process is a two way process, so always try to keep your web site interactive. Ask the customers about their experiences while going through the site. You can ask them to fill online feed back form with 5-6 questions and keep the questions light and meaningful so that they can enjoy answering them.
6. Compatibility does matter: - Your site must be designed according to the compatibility to the popular browsers. This depends upon the area or region where you are focusing your site promotion. If there is some local browser which is famous than globally used one then you must be conscious about the local browser too.