Steve Jobs Announces iPad 2 - Specs, Photos
iPad 2 Announcement: Steve Jobs Returns to Stage to Show Off iPad 2
March 2 iPad 2 event unfolded as predicted, but with the added surprise of an appearance by Steve Jobs. Jobs unveiled the iPad 2, which is (wait for it) faster, thinner, and lighter.
Steve Jobs touted the iPad 2 as a new design, and not just an upgrade. The price points and capacities of the iPad have not changed, but the iPad 2 will be available on the AT&T network (GSM) and the Verizon network (CDMA) in the US.
iPad 2 Features
- Apple A5 dual-core chip: claimed 2x faster processing, 9x faster graphics
- Front- and rear-facing cameras
- iTunes library sharing with home devices via WiFi (is the synching problem fixed?)
- It comes in white. Really.
- Lighter and thinner
- Smart cover: a magnetic cover that wraps around the iPad 2, opening to act as a typing stand. Takes a bite out of third-party accessory market.
fasterno Flash support.
iOS 4.3 will allow iPhone 4 users (but not iPad 2 users) to use the phone as a mobile hotspot. This is a core feature in Android already. The iPad 2 will ship on March 11, which is when iOS 4.3 will be available for free download. The rest of the world gets the iPad 2 on March 26.
Watch for a jailbreak from the iPhone Dev Team soon.