Afghan, NATO forces rout Taliban (Remember the Prison Escapees?)
I'm thinking some of the water cooler talk around the terrorist office went something like this: "We should have stayed in jail." They've been routed.
Afghan and NATO-led forces killed or wounded hundreds of Taliban on Thursday in an offensive to clear the militants from the outskirts of Kandahar city, the provincial governor said.
NATO confirmed in a statement issued in Kabul that Taliban fighters, including many believed to have escaped during a mass jail break last week, had been routed from positions among the orchards and farms of Arghandab district, northwest of Kandahar.
On Thursday, Afghan and mostly Canadian forces of NATO's International Security Assistance Force attacked enemy positions, having used helicopter gunships at the start of one of the biggest battles in Afghanistan in recent years.
Earlier NATO had said the offensive, which began on Wednesday, was expected to last until the weekend, and it estimated some 600 Taliban fighters had slipped into the Arghandab valley.
Kandahar provincial governor Assadullah Khalid told a news conference that the Taliban had been driven out, and troops were searching villagers' houses for fighters left behind.
"The Taliban have been cleared totally from Arghandab district," Khalid said.
"They have suffered hundreds of dead and wounded and many of their casualties are Pakistanis," he said.