America is neither conservative nor evangelical
By James A. George, aka YankeeJimsAmerica.com, American Political System Columnist, Politisite
According to a June 2009 poll, conservatives are the largest ideological group at 40%. Yet, hold on, Moderates are 35% and Liberals 21% totaling 56%.
If Americans want a functioning government, they need to find some middle ground. What does that mean? Scenarios include:
1. Splitting the Moderate Vote, 17.5% + all 21% Liberals = 38.5% and that isn’t good enough.
2. For anti-Conservatives to win the Moderates can’t give up more than 5% to Conservatives and this block needs the entire Liberal vote. That is a tall order.
3. Conservatives need only 11% of the available Moderates to win.
Power to shift the presidency lies with the Moderates.
"Conservatives" Are Single-Largest Ideological Group
Percentage of "liberals" higher this decade than in early '90s
by Lydia Saad
PRINCETON, NJ -- Thus far in 2009, 40% of Americans interviewed in national Gallup Poll surveys describe their political views as conservative, 35% as moderate, and 21% as liberal. This represents a slight increase for conservatism in the U.S. since 2008, returning it to a level last seen in 2004. The 21% calling themselves liberal is in line with findings throughout this decade, but is up from the 1990s.”
How strongly are American’s aligned with the Christian faith?
75% of Americans have affinity with Christianity. Do they use that as criteria for selecting a candidate for political office? I advise against it because I am a member of the 15% without. I think using religion is anti-American and anti-Constitutional.
What percentage of religious Americans are evangelical? One in three Americans identify with being evangelical and that is about 25% of the population.
So, I suspect that there is a strong intersection or overlap between Evangelical Christians and Conservative Republicans.
Therefore 40% of Americans are Conservative and 25% Evangelical, leaving the rest Moderate, Liberal, and an estimated 40% Christians.
“The survey also found that "born-again" or "evangelical" Christianity is on the rise, while the percentage who belong to "mainline" congregations such as the Episcopal or Lutheran churches has fallen.
One in three Americans consider themselves evangelical, and the number of people associated with mega-churches has skyrocketed from less than 200,000 in 1990 to more than 8 million in the latest survey.”
“The majority of Americans (60% to 76%) identify themselves as Christians, mostly within Protestant and Catholic denominations, accounting for 51% and 25% of the population respectively. Non-Christian religions (including Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism etc.), collectively make up about 3.9% to 5.5% of the adult population. Another 15% of the adult population identifies as having no religious belief or no religious affiliation.”