Arroyo condemns Maguindanao incident
Its very hard to understand Filipino politics because there are so many political parties. The other big problem is crooks and religious cults and at election time we always see blood and carnage and some of the crooks think they can get away with anything as they practically own the voting area where they live. In this case its Muslim political clans that have been bickering for some time and there is the normal corruption problem.
However when such an horrific occurance occures and this is the worst politically motive one so far, the armed forces are called in and the gangsters are arrested if found. I expect many have escaped to find refuge on other Islands.
PRESIDENT Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo ordered law enforcement authorities led by the military to bring the perpetrators of the Maguindanao hostage taking turned killing spree.
Presidential spokesperson Lorelei Fajardo said the President condemned “this horrific act of violence” and has sent out her condolences to the families of the victims.
THE Davao City Government is on alert for possible spill over of the fighting between two powerful clans in Central Mindanao.
Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte called for an emergency meeting Monday night with all operating units of the Philippine National Police and the Armed Forces of the Philippines to map out plan on how to prevent the clan war from reaching the city.
“We are addressing the situation in Maguindanao. The President has ordered the AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines) to mobilize its forces to capture the perpetrators and recover the remaining hostages... We stand in solidarity with our friends from media and we shall provide all necessary support to assuage their fears and grief,” she added.
Presidential Adviser on Mindanao Affairs Jesus Dureza recommended the declaration of a state of emergency in Maguindannao following the incident involving the family and supporters of Maguindanao vice mayor Ibrahim “Toto” Mangundadatu who was supposed to run for governor.
Dureza branded the incident as a “gruesome massacre” of civilians, which he said is the worst in the country's election history.
“Even working women, mediamen were not spared. There must be a total stop to this senseless violence. I strongly recommend that a state of emergency be imposed in the area and everyone be disarmed. Anything less will not work,” Dureza said.