Boy dies from excitement after opening his birthday presents
I wanted to share this tragic story about a 12-year-old boy from Hathershaw, near Oldham, Greater Manchester, who died in his farthers arms.
He suffered a massive asthma attack which brought on heart failure believed to have been caused by getting worked up and excited about gifts he has recieved for his birthday.
A BOY died in his dad's arms shortly after he opened his 12th birthday presents.
Martin Glazier-Macrae suffered a massive asthma attack which brought on heart failure.
His Scots dad Duncan was being comforted by relatives yesterday.
Martin was an only child. His mum Angela died when he was just three years old and he and his dad had been "inseparable" since.
Martin's aunt, Kathleen Macrae, 64, said her nephew was delighted when he received a Star Wars Lego set for his birthday.
She said: "Martin was looking forward to his birthday and had given me his list, which I still have in my bag.
"He loved his computer and PlayStation but he especially liked Lego and the more complex kits.
"His dad and I had joined together to buy him an expensive set.
"After he opened his presents, his dad asked him if he wanted to go to the post office with him to get his car taxed. But he stayed at home playing with his friend who lived next door.
"He started to have an asthma attack while his dad was out, so his friend's mum called Duncan and he rushed straight back.
"He was talking to Martin over the phone and trying to get him to calm down.
"When Duncan got back, he gave him some of his puffer and he was calmer. Then he said to his dad, 'I'm going to faint'.
"He just collapsed. The ambulance came very quickly and they did all they could.
"But it was too late. He died in his dad's arms."
Kathleen added: "Duncan knew in his heart that Martin was gone."
Relatives said Duncan, originally from Nairn, was devastated at losing his boy.
Kathleen said: "Duncan was an HGV driver but gave up work to bring up Martin. There was no dividing line between them.
"They were inseparable. Wherever Duncan went, Martin went. They were like the film Twins - little and large. Martin was a lovely boy - very polite."
Martin was diagnosed with asthma when he was a baby.
Kathleen said he had felt faint after getting out of bed on Monday morning.
But he recovered and opened his presents and cards.
After he collapsed, an ambulance crew took him from his home in Hathershaw, near Oldham, Greater Manchester, to the Royal Oldham Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Kathleen said Martin had been ecstatic when he got the Star Wars set.
She added: "He loved Lego. It was an advanced set but he could do it. He was very good. It was quite hard, even for an adult.
"Every birthday or Christmas, he would ask for a Lego set.
"He would see one in the shop and then he would wait for his birthday or Christmas to ask for it.
"Martin wasn't a demanding child. He knew his dad couldn't afford much and that these sets are expensive, so he was happy to wait."
Kathleen said doctors had expected Martin's asthma to have disappeared by the time he was six or seven.
She added: "Between the ages of about six and up to last year, he did very well.
"He had a few attacks last year. But then for a few months he hadn't had any.
"All Christmas he was fine - he had no problems. He knew his condition very well so he knew how to deal with the attacks.
"He was playing snowballs and sliding in the snow with his friends but I don't think that brought it on.
"Duncan has four brothers and one sister, so he has a big family around him to support him. But he is taking it hard."
Prayers were said for Martin at his school, Our Lady's Roman Catholic High School in Oldham.
Deputy headmistress Maureen Conlon said: "Martin was a lovely little boy with lots of friends and he was an asset to the school."
An inquest is expected to be held into Martin's death.