Can India face the dragon?
Once again the tensed environment has been created on this region of South Asia, where India and China are fighting war of words
Chinese irrelevant strong claims on India's northeastern most province of Arunachal Pradesh & a part of Kashmir, objecting the separate visits of Indian Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh and Dalai Lama, frequent deep intrusion in the Indian territory, Sailing in the Indian Ocean near Indian territory, Supporting Pakistan, its Army and helping build them infrastructure in the disputed Indian Kashmir. Pushing opium and fake money in the Indian market, has made India to take the dialogue process seriously with China. (See: China's Yin-Yang Behaviour)India's deployment of 200 Su 30MKI in the Arunachal Pradesh was an answer but we don't want any military action.
Chinese claims on Arunachal Pradesh is totally baseless as they have neither ruled nor they ever have any communication with this part in the complete history. China claims this part belongs to Tibet which it is controlling now. But Dalai Lama has clearly said recently that Arunachal Pradesh is Indian territory.
Though daily on media we get to hear something new on this topic, but government of India is still maintaining a soft approach against China, as it probably doesn't want to risk the billion dollar worth bilateral trade.
What all is happening with India, India is so cool about is and not looking in a worried mood, but can India do something same to China? China has surrounded India from all the sides (Read: Chinese String of Pearls Theory) If India won't act, China will take India soft and will either include it in its own influence and won't let it grow to maintain its monopoly in the region or it will crush India. If India has to do something it should have a strong economy first, strong international relations second, and good military third. Then only we can say our stand otherwise messing with China will be like inviting punishment.
Steps to counter China:
1. Recognize Taiwan: India has such a good relations and trade with Taiwan, people of Taiwan love India and believe India can only to do something about China and Taiwan issue in the future, they understand Indian problems very well and I have seen them talking about offering help to India in their blogs.
2. Maintain Nepal: India has been puring billions to help Nepal build infrastructure, India should also think of maintaining the relationship with Nepal specially after the formation of new government which is little pro Chinese. India shouldn't let its money get wasted in Nepal.
3. Recognition of Tibet: If China doesn't recognize Kashmir as India's part, then why should India recognize Tibet? For past 4 decades India has been providing the Tibetan refugees shelter, market, etc. If China can't take care of these innocent people who are fleeing to India everyday even today, then China on no ground can call Tibet as China.
4. Good relations with Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Afghanistan: It is important to maintain good relations with all of the neighbours. Although Many of them have already fell into China's influence it is still not too late. If India makes excellent relations with them as well, these countries will ensure that China won't use them against India. Further India should be quick to grab tenders, projects of development in these countries.
5. Card of Mongolia: This card can only be played when India and China will be equal. Good relation with Mongolia will be necessary to setup bases and camps on the northern border of China to pressurize it fro both the sides.
6. Card of Central Asia: Energy rich Central Asia is needed for the growth of the country, China has already sealed so many deals with these countries, India shouldn't be late to grab few deals as well.
7. Card of Japan: China and Japan relations have always been bitter. Use this card if you are strong enough. That is having a good trade with Japan will be in India's interest. In this case, either China will force India to close ties with Japan or will start a dialogue with India to sort out the issues which is in India's interest.
8. Russia: Soviet Union always preferred India over China, but it had to maintain good relations with its communist neighbour as well. That's why Russia couldn't do much during Indo-China war in 1962. Now that such condition doesn't exist a strong Russia is needed to solve the issues if war breaks out between India and China, as Russia maintains relations with both.
9. Finally good relations with Pakistan: This one is unlikely to happen in near future. China has been developing infrastructure in Pakistan, training their army and providing them weapons and technology just to make Pakistan equal to India so that it can keep India and Pakistan busy and allow then not to grow. China and Pakistan are friends because both consider India as enemy. If India makes good relations with Pakistan. China will not find Pakistan of much use.
The writer is the author of the website The World Reporter where he does analysis and publishes his opinion on the news which has a global impact