Conservatives, Hang Tough and Get Ready
It’s hard to be a conservative these days, knowing that a majority of Americans share your basic beliefs, but, through the vagaries of life, a group that is setting out to destroy America has somehow gained immense political power. With such majorities in Congress, especially in the House, and with just enough Republican cowards in the Senate to look the other way, it is obvious that whatever Obama and the liberals want, they will get.
In addition to massive spending bills not seen before, here are just a few changes you can believe in that they have already made in about a month:
1. Stopped oil exploration and drilling and conversion of shale to oil.
2. Announced the closing of Guantanamo with no idea what to do with the terrorists there.
3. Blundered into the dismissal of charges against the planner of the USS Cole bombing.
4. Given Al Qaeda terrorists the rights of American citizens.
5. Forced Americans who pay their mortgages to support those who do not.
6. Raised income taxes on job creators and threatened to raise capital gains taxes while renewing death taxes. Cut mortgage and charitable deductions.
7. Devoted billions to combating man-made global warming, a condition that remains unproven and likely untrue; phasing in a carbon tax.
8. Managed to damn with faint praise the incredible achievement of Bush and our military in planting in Iraq the only functioning democracy among 22 Arab nations.
9. Effectively banned private businesses from entertaining their customers or rewarding their employees.
10. Forced Catholic hospitals and people of faith to provide abortions against their will.
Besides sharing a set of beliefs in common values based on religious principles, conservatives share a belief in the greatness of America and in its ability to overcome all obstacles, remaining, as it has for over 200 years, the hope of the world. This belief sustains me even as I look at the huge shrinkage in my savings that has taken place since Obama pulled ahead in the polls last fall and even as I consider the damage being done to our economy and to society in one short month.
Already, in such a short time, Tea Party rallies are springing up all over the country, as more and more people realize what the Obama administration is up to. They may not amount to anything, but as surely as Reagan followed Carter, this massive overreaching will have consequences in 2010 and especially in 2012 if conservatives can unite and prevent another McCain from winning the Republican nomination. A program of rewarding sloth and dishonesty and turning over our country to people looking only for handouts cannot be sustained and cannot succeed.
Although the liberals destroyed Bush with an incredible campaign of lies and vulgar ridicule, conservatives are mostly people of goodwill and cannot find it in themselves to act in a similar fashion. Besides, every personal criticism will be met with charges of ‘racism’, and behind Obama lies Biden and Pelosi. If anyone could be worse than Obama it would be one of these two. We will stick to attacks on policies when those policies are destructive to the fabric and well-being of our country and to its hard-working, tax-paying citizens.