Dog alerts owners to fire in East Avon, NY
EAST AVON, NY - On Saturday morning, May 22, East Avon firefighters were dispatched to a house fire with the possibility of people trapped on Sutton Road in the town of Avon, Livingston County.
The occupants of the home were alerted to the fire by the family dog, who unfortunately parished in the blaze.
A female resident of the home was forced to jump from a second story window to escape the flames. She was transported to a local hospital for treatment.
Incident command requested additional engines and manpower from the Village of Avon and Lakeville Fire Departments. Caledonia firefighters were later requested to the scene for final extinguishment and overhaul.
Investigators from the Livingston County Office of Emergency Mangement determined the fire to be caused by an overloaded power strip.