"Don't You Remember My Campaign?", I Do Mr. President.
Today, while discussing the debt ceiling and making the claim that 80% of Amercians want higher taxes. our President Barack H. Obama asked the press, "Don't you remember my campaign?" I remember your campaign, Mr President.
I remember when you told us on October 27th 2007,
"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am President, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank."
It is now 2011, nearly ten years since the beginning of the "War on Terror" and over 2 years since your inauguration. You still have not ended wars that have cost over 1 million human lives, and left millions more maimed physcially and psycologically. In fact you have started and escalated armed conflict in several more countries other than Afghanistan and Iraq, including Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, and Libya.
I also remember August 2, 2007 when you said,
"As President, I will close Guantanamo, reject the Military Commissions Act and adhere to the Geneva Conventions. Our Constitution and our Uniform Code of Military Justice provide a framework for dealing with the terrorists."
Today, Guantanamo Bay is still functioning as a detention camp, and is still trying foreign nationals with military tribunals. Fellow human beings, are also still being detained without charges or access to legal representation and tortured at multiple Department of Defense and Central Intelligence Agency locations around the world.
I remember when you said:
- "The Public will have 5 days to look at every bill that lands on my desk"
- "I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."
- "Will eliminate all income taxation of seniors making less than $50,000 per year. This will eliminate taxes for 7 million seniors -- saving them an average of $1,400 a year-- and will also mean that 27 million seniors will not need to file an income tax return at all."
- "endorse the goal of sending human missions to the Moon by 2020, as a precursor in an orderly progression to missions to more distant destinations, including Mars."
- "[Lobbyists] won't work in my White House"
- "As president, Barack Obama would revisit the PATRIOT Act to ensure that there is real and robust oversight of tools like National Security Letters, sneak-and-peek searches, and the use of the material witness provision."
- "Barack Obama opposed the Bush Administration's initial policy on warrantless wiretaps because it crossed the line between protecting our national security and eroding the civil liberties of American citizens. As president, Obama would update the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act to provide greater oversight and accountability to the congressional intelligence committees to prevent future threats to the rule of law."
- "The right of habeas corpus allows prisoners to ask a court to determine whether they are being lawfully imprisoned. Recently, this right has been denied to those deemed enemy combatants. Barack Obama strongly supports bipartisan efforts to restore habeas rights. He firmly believes that those who pose a danger to this country should be swiftly tried and brought to justice, but those who do not should have sufficient due process to ensure that we are not wrongfully denying them their liberty."
- "Establish the legal status of contractor personnel, making possible prosecution of any abuses committed by private military contractors."
- "Will ensure that federal contracts over $25,000 are competitively bid."
- "From both a moral standpoint and a practical standpoint, torture is wrong. Barack Obama will end the use torture without exception. He also will eliminate the practice of extreme rendition, where we outsource our torture to other countries."
None of these have ever come true, and these are just a few of the statements you made as Candidate Barack Obama..
Yes Mr President, I remember your campaign. My question for you is, Do you remember your campaign, and more importantly all the promises you made to us during your campaign?