Eleven dead in Pakistani attack 'by US forces'
Ramadan is one of the most pious month for the Muslims all over the world. Even Pakistan had suspended all kinds of military actions during this month. But after the reports of Taliban caputuring Chinese engineers in their custody, US forces have started air striked in the Swat Valley of the north western Pakistan.
At least 11 people, including women and children, were killed in northwest Pakistan on Wednesday in an attack a security official and a witness said was carried out by US forces from Afghanistan.
The attack involving helicopters took place in the village of Angor Adda in the South Waziristan region, a known sanctuary for al Qaeda and Taliban militants, they said.
Many civilians are reported to be killed as well.
ISPR said several militants had been killed and injured in the air strikes. The attacks started early in the morning.
Local people said civilians were also killed.
A spokesman for Taliban said eight civilians had been killed and seven houses damaged by shelling.
Six shops in Matta bazaar owned by Awami National Party leader Afzal Khan Lala were blown up.
The shops had been vacated after threats by militants over the past few days.
Afzal Khan is the only senior nationalist leader who is still living in the troubled valley despite several attacks and continuing threats.
An ASI of traffic police was gunned down reportedly by militants on Tuesday. The local media information centre announced a daily relaxation in curfew from 5am to 11pm during Ramazan. It urged people to exercise extreme vigil, especially during curfew relaxation at night, to thwart any terrorist attack.
A retired schoolteacher was gunned down in Koza Banda in Kabal tehsil.
On Monday night, a post office was set on fire in Deolai.
AFP adds: In Beijing, Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu called on the government of Pakistan to take steps to rescue the Chinese personnel.
“We have requested that Pakistan rescue the two missing staff and ensure their safety. The Chinese government attaches great importance to this.”
She refused to comment on Taliban’s claim.
APP adds from Islamabad: Prime Minister’s Adviser on Interior Affairs Rehman Malik said on Tuesday that military operation in the tribal region and troubled areas of the NWFP had been suspended in reverence for Ramazan.
“Let me make it very clear that the operation has been suspended in the tribal areas, Swat and Bajaur in respect for Ramazan.
“We will strongly react if someone tries to disturb peace or attack the forces,” he told journalists at the Parliament House.
He reiterated that the operation would resume after Ramazan and continue till the establishment of the writ of the government.
He said the situation was improving in Bajaur.
Over 150,000 people displaced from Bajaur had returned home and the remaining 120,000 would go back soon, he added.